Oreos, ice cream and the most addictive fudge sauce you’ve ever had? That is mud pie.
I’m not kidding when I say this fudge sauce is addictive. At birthdays my Grandma will throw a jar of it into your gift if you’re lucky. When it tops this frozen treat it brings everything together from the crust to the intense coffee flavour of the ice cream (if you want to tone down the coffee, use half chocolate ice cream).
This pie will make you a hit at parties. It prompts hoots of “YES” whenever word travels that it will be at a family function, and it makes sense (because oreos, ice cream and the most addictive fudge sauce you’ve ever had). It’s the most fun you can have without using your oven.
- 1/4 cup + 6 tbsp melted butter
- 3 squares (3 oz) semi sweet chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1.5 cups sugar
- 3/4 cups evaporated milk
- 1 cup Oreo crumbs
- Pinch sea salt
- 4 cups softened coffee ice cream
- Line a 9 inch cake or pie plate with two pieces of saran wrap (if you have a 9 inch springform pan, use that).
- Make the fudge sauce: melt 6 tbsp butter and chocolate in a double boiler (or a bowl over simmering water). Once melted, add sugar and mix well. Add evaporated milk and stir until incorporated. Cook until sugar is dissolved and the sauce is thick, about 10 minutes. Allow the sauce to cool completely.
- Mix the oreo crumbs, melted butter (1/4 cup) and salt in a bowl and press into the bottom (not sides) of your prepared pan. Place in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Spread the softened ice cream on top of the crust and place in the freezer until completely firm.
- Spread the cooled fudge sauce on top of the pie and place in the freezer for at least 8 hours.