This past Sunday as I awaited word on the Field Trip rain suspension, my jar of lavender caught my eye.
As I’ve said, I have a jar full of lavender straight from Provence just chillin in my kitchen. A little definitely goes a long way so it’s going to last forever (which I’m thrilled about), which means more lavender spiked drinks and sweets for awhile.
Inspiration struck for these cookies, which have a perfectly crispy edge and soft middle. The flavour of lavender isn’t overpowering (no one wants to bite into a flower when they expect a cookie) and it would go perfectly with some earl grey tea. The honey is also a great pairing for lavender (throw some of that in your tea too).
FYI the candied lavender flower recipe below makes way more than you need. Store in a sealed jar for anything that you think could use some lavender love.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp lavender flowers (culinary grade), chopped
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch sea salt
- Candied lavender flowers (3 tbsp lavender flowers, 1 tsp water, 1 tbsp sugar)
- To make candied lavender flowers, sprinkle 3 tbsp lavender flowers with 1 teaspoon of water and mix gently until distributed evenly. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sugar over the flowers slowly, mixing gently after each addition. Place mixture in sieve and shake gently until excess sugar is gone. Place on baking sheet covered in parchment and dry in 200F oven for 20 minutes. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add honey and beat until combined.
- Add egg and lavender flowers and beat until fluffy and fully incorporated.
- Add dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Scoop cookies (1-2 tbsp dough per cookie, your preference) onto a baking sheet, flatten the dough a little on top and sprinkle lightly with candied lavender.
- Bake at 350F for 10 minutes, or until edges are golden brown.
One thought on “Lavender Honey Cookies”
This matches so perfectly with my lavender and chamomile ice cream! These cookies look delicious!